Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My Soap Box.

This blog is not about my pregnancy, but it's something I feel very strongly about and felt the need to get on my soapbox and write about it. People make me sick. Seriously. People that don't understand that owning a dog is actually a responsibility. People that get a dog and then "change their minds" and think "Hey, I can just drop him off down some back road or take him to the pound. Some one will get him." People that abuse and/or neglect dogs. People that don't get medical attention if their dogs need it. People that fight dogs. Those are the kind of people that make me sick. I also don't understand why people don't spay/neuter their dogs. If you can't afford it then why the heck did  you get a dog??? There are spay/neuter financial assistance programs you can apply for and be able to spay/neuter your dog for dirt cheap. Or hey, every think of this...save up your money. Hundreds of dogs get "put to sleep" EVERY DAY because people won't take the time and the money to spay/neuter. Or they want to make a few bucks by getting their dog knocked up and selling the puppies. People may ignorantly think that it's only a few dogs being produced and they promise to find great homes for them, but they forget to think about each one of them having puppies, and their puppies having puppies, and so on and so forth. Over half will end up dead, neglected, abused, and/or homeless. Check out the picture below.


I found this "letter" and it breaks my heart because of how many dogs are killed on a daily basis. So many deaths could be prevented it people would just be responsible for their actions.
Dear Mom and Dad,

I died today. You got tired of me and took me to the shelter. They were overcrowded and I drew an unlucky number. I am in a black plastic bag in a landfill now. Some other puppy will get the barely used leash you left. My collar was dirty and too small, but the lady took it off before she sent me to the Rainbow Bridge .

Would I still be at home if I hadn't chewed your shoe? I didn't know what it was, but it was leather, and it was on the floor. I was just playing. You forgot to get puppy toys.

Would I still be at home if I had been housebroken? Rubbing my nose in what I did only made me
ashamed that I had to go at all. There are books and obedience teachers that would have taught you how to teach me to go to the door.

Would I still be at home if I hadn't brought fleas into the house? Without anti-flea medicine, I couldn't get them off of me after you left me in the yard for days.
Would I still be at home if I hadn't barked? I was only saying, "I'm scared, I'm lonely, I'm here, I'm here! I want to be your best friend."

Would I still be at home if I had made you happy? Hitting me didn't make me learn how.

Would I still be at home if you had taken the time to care for me and to teach manners to me? You didn't pay attention to me after the first week or so, but I spent all my time waiting for
you to love me.

I died today.
Love, Your Puppy


This made me think of our dog Minka that we fostered and then adopted. Someone dropped her off at the pound to be put to sleep because her legs look funny. They were too distracted by something she couldn't help that they didn't realize what an awesome dog she is.




Since their are so many irresponsible, ignorant people in this world, please, if  you can, consider being a foster parent so we can get some of these dogs out of the shelters.

Ok, I'm done now.

No comments:

Post a Comment